Endorsement in English Language Learners

Next Start
April 2024
Total Credits
Price per Credit

Help Our Youth Succeed

One of the biggest hurdles for foreign students is becoming fluent in the English language. Make the transition easier for these students, so they can focus on achieving a quality education. City University of Seattle offers the English Language Learners (ELL) Endorsement for teachers in P-12. Upon completion of this six-course program, you’ll be prepared to better support young students whose first language is not English.

This program is available mostly online and can be completed in one and a half academic years.

City University of Seattle offers an English Language Learners (ELL) Endorsement for P-12 teachers. The program covers coursework and classroom experiences working with children who are non-native English speakers.

In Washington State, your ELL endorsement must always supplement another endorsement on your teaching certificate, which means that you can add ELL to your current endorsement/s or achieve ELL endorsement along with your full degree.

This six-course, 21-credit program is offered mostly online to accommodate your current schedule. With coursework plus a three-part internship, students typically take one and a half academic years to complete this endorsement.

Learning Outcomes

Throughout the ESL endorsement program, you’ll learn:

  • The process of second language acquisition
  • The history and legislation of bilingual education
  • How to design and modify literacy instruction
  • How to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) writing
  • How to integrate content for English language learners

Note: Statement on 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) and 34 CFR 668.43(c). Candidates of City University of Seattle Teacher Certification Programs, complete requirements to be recommended for certification or endorsement in the state of Washington. Except for Washington State, CityU has made no determination if this program will lead to licensure in another state. Please reference the resources below to determine licensure requirements and/or transfer policies in states other than Washington. The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) have negotiated licensure reciprocity agreements among states. This means that if you earn licensure in Washington you may be able to gain licensure in another state based on proof of a valid Washington license. NASDTEC agreements can be found by clicking the following link. Requirements for licensure can change without notice, therefore it is important to contact the State Department of Education to confirm reciprocity in another state.


* Indicates a required field.

By clicking SUBMIT, I understand and agree to CityU's privacy policy.


Founded in 1973, City University of Seattle offers over 60 on-site and online programs designed for busy working adults like you. When you enroll at CityU, you will have the support of a community of faculty, staff, students, and alumni who are dedicated to helping you finish your degree and reach your goals.