Student Right to Know

Student Rights and Responsibilities

The status of “enrolled student” conveys certain rights and responsibilities. Policies based on U.S. law are applicable to all City University of Seattle students worldwide and it is the student’s responsibility to know all the policies and practices of the University that are available in the University’s annual catalog, a compendium of all the policies. A subset of those policies can be accessed on CityU’s Compliance page.

Student Consumer Information

Postsecondary institutions participating in federal financial aid programs are required to notify enrolled and prospective students regarding consumer information. Should you not find the information here, please contact the Director of Financial Aid, Registrar, Director of Student Accounts, or the Director of Admissions. All contact information can be found in CityU’s Administrative list.

Financial Aid

CityU is dedicated to providing an affordable tuition and offers students access to several financial aid services and programs – loans, grants, work study, scholarships, and more. To learn more about all the aid provided through CityU, go to the Financial Aid page.


Regular undergraduate and graduate tuition rates apply to all sites in the United States and Canada, and cover all course formats, including day, evening and weekend classes, distance learning courses, mentored undergraduate or graduate research, internships, challenge exams, projects or theses, and university level English as a Second Language courses. The tuition and fees charged for attendance at international instructional sites, with the exception of Canada, are established and may be collected in local currencies, and may also vary from U.S. tuition. Accordingly, they are set forth in country-specific brochures available upon request from the site offices in each of the respective international locations. Students can find out about CityU’s tuition on CityU’s website.

Net Price Calculator

The Net Price Calculator is typically used for full-time freshman to calculate the net price of attending college. The algorithms used in this calculation are not representational of the CityU populations who are predominately working adults. Use the Net Price Calculator.

Cost of Attendance

City University of Seattle campuses are non-residential. Direct costs are tuition and fees. Additionally, student cost of attendance or budget for financial aid purposes include expected costs associated with books, supplies, room and board, transportation and personal expenses. These costs are based on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Other items may be added with proper documentation. More about this topic can be read on CityU’s Financial Aid page.

Gainful Employment

Schools are required to report certain information about students who are enrolled in financial aid eligible educational programs that lead to gainful employment in a recognized occupation (GE programs). Regulations provide that institutions disclose to prospective students information about their GE Programs. Information for each GE program at CityU is provided on the Financial Aid Services webpage.

Federal Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

Each student, upon enrollment, is provided a written notice that a conviction for an offense, during a period of enrollment for which the student is receiving Title IV funds under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs will result in the loss of eligibility for any Title IV assistance.

State Grants

The State Need Grant (SNG) is a Washington State grant program for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need, and are residents of the State of Washington. This grant does not need to be repaid. Funds are limited and are awarded to students based on information calculated from the student’s FAFSA® application. DACA and Dreamer students who are Washington State residents may contact the Washington Student Achievement Council to complete the WASFA form for consideration.

Disclosure Requirements Relating to Educational Loans

To get an early look at which student loan repayment plans you may be eligible for and to see estimates for how much you would pay monthly and overall based on your student loan borrowing, use the Federal Student Aid’s Repayment Estimator.

Entrance Counseling

Students who have not previously received a federal student loan are required to complete the entrance counseling tutorial to ensure an understanding of the responsibilities and obligations being assumed as a borrower. Topics covered include understanding your loans, manage your spending, plan to repay, avoid default, and make finances a priority. The entrance counseling tutorial is available on the Federal Student Loans website.

National Student Loan Data System

Federal student loan borrowers may access his or her loan history information at the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Borrowers can access information about their aggregate loan debt, loan portfolio details and their assigned student loan servicing agency. Information in NSLDS is also available to authorized users such as your school’s financial aid department, loan servicers, and guarantee agencies.

Exit Counseling

Exit counseling provides important information needed to prepare for repayment of federal student loans. Students who have received a federal student loan and are no longer attending are required to complete the exit counseling tutorial available on the Federal Student Loans website.

Private Educational Loans

Private or alternative student loans are available to students when his or her financial aid does not fully cover their cost of attendance or the student is otherwise ineligible for federal financial aid. We strongly recommend that students weigh their options carefully and utilize private student loan borrowing as a last resort. Financial Aid Counselors are available to discuss your financial aid options. City University of Seattle allows students the freedom to choose through their own personal research the private lending institution that best fits their needs. The Financial Aid department does not recommend lenders, offer a preferred lender list, nor do we have any agreement with any one of the many private educational loan institutions. You may read CityU’s Code of Conduct for Education Loans Policy.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

City University of Seattle is required to notify all students annually of their FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) rights. This notification is delivered through the University catalog and the website. You can view CityU’s catalog.

General Institutional Information

CityU’s academic year starts July 1 and ends June 30. Applications are accepted throughout the year on a rolling admission. Keep in mind different degree programs start at different times and only some degree programs begin every quarter. CityU’s full list of programs can be viewed online.

Transfer of Credit Policy

Students who enter City University of Seattle as candidates for a degree or certificate may have already completed courses at other educational institutions. Transfer credit policies are listed in the CityU Course Catalog.

Institutional & Program Accreditation

City University of Seattle is incorporated in Washington State and is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), 8060 165th Ave. NE, Suite 100, Redmond, WA 98052. City University of Seattle’s School of Management is accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). More information can be obtained at Additional information about CityU’s NWCCU accreditation.

Textbook Information

To find the textbooks you need, please go to CityU’s Library website and look up your courses. The textbooks assigned by the instructor will show up on the page.

Services to Student with Disabilities

City University of Seattle is committed to providing equal opportunities in higher education to academically qualified students with disabilities who demonstrate a reasonable expectation of college success. Students are encouraged to contact the Disability Support Services Office to discuss the need for reasonable accommodations. For accommodations, please email,

Copyright Infringement Policy

City University of Seattle provides access to its computing facilities and equipment, its information technology system, and connectivity to the internet, for the purpose of advancing and enhancing the educational objectives of its programs. Systems usage is restricted to educational activities directly tied to program objectives and incidental personal communications. Use of CityU information technology systems for unauthorized peer-to-peer file sharing, including but not limited to the downloading and/or distribution of copyrighted material, is strictly prohibited. Any unauthorized use of CityU’s information technology system could result in removal from access to the system, or institutional discipline, including suspension and dismissal. Reproduction or distribution of copyrighted works, including but not limited to images, text or software, without permission of the owner, is an infringement of U.S. Copyright Law and is subject to civil damages and criminal penalties including fines and imprisonment.

Voter Registration

CityU encourages students to participate in the democratic process of voting. During election years information about registering to vote will be available on the student portal. To find out more about registering to vote visit, please visit the Washington State Elections webpage.

College Navigator Website

Information used to populate the College Navigator is based on first time, full time college students. As a degree completion institution serving working adults, City University Seattle does not admit first-time, full-time freshmen. Therefore, data on the College Navigator website does not reflect the typical CityU student experience.

Teacher Preparation Program

Access the National Teacher Preparation Data for Title II State Reports as well as City University of Seattle’s Teacher Preparation Data report.

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention

According to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 (Public Law 101- 690), City University of Seattle provides information and notices to its students, faculty, and employees to prevent drug and alcohol abuse, including sanctions imposed for violations of the standards of conduct consistent with local, state and federal law. For more information see the CityU Course Catalog.

Counseling Center

A counseling center is offered at CityU’s Seattle campus. Information can be found on the Student Services webpage and more in-depth information can be found on the Counseling Center webpage.

Vaccinations Policies

City University of Seattle does not require vaccinations for admission to University programs. Vaccinations, in compliance with local, state and federal regulations, are required for students who apply to live in the Residence Hall at Cornish Commons. View the Housing and Residence Life Immunization Policy.

Campus Security

City University of Seattle is committed to the safety and security of our students, faculty and staff. In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the university is dedicated to the accurate and timely dissemination of all crime statistics and security related information to our constituents. A current copy of the Campus Security report is available online. Paper copies are available upon request.

Campus safety announcements, events, forms and contact information can be found on the Student Portal.

Institutional data

Information on the University’s student body including diversity, student profile, retention, graduation and completion rates can be viewed on CityU’s fast facts webpage.

Student Body Diversity

  • American Indian/Alaskan Native: 1%
  • Asia: 5.8%
  • Black:9.4%
  • Hispanic: 5.3%
  • Native Hawaiian / Pacific Islander: 0.9%
  • 2 or more races: 0.9%
  • White: 56.3%
  • Undeclared: 20.0%

Intercollegiate Athletic Program

CityU does not participate in intercollegiate athletic programs.

Course Withdrawal

A student enrolled in a course may withdraw for any reason without academic penalty, provided written notice is received by the student’s advisor or the University Registrar’s Office no later than the 80 percent completion point of the course. Course withdrawal requests received after the 80 percent completion point may result in academic penalty. Once a grade has been posted to a student’s academic record, the student may not withdraw from the course. For additional information on course withdrawal see the university catalog.

Tuition Refunds

Tuition is refundable only when a student officially withdraws from a course. The Tuition Refund Table is available in the university catalog, and the tuition webpage. The date the student contacts their Advisor or the Office of the Registrar will determine the amount of the tuition refund, if any. Students who are withdrawn from a course or courses for disciplinary reasons or a breach of conduct forfeit the right to a refund of any portion of their tuition and fees. Students may appeal the amount of tuition refunded due to extenuating circumstances (hardship, medical, or other related reason). Appeals submitted outside of the refund schedule may require documentation pending the decision of the University Withdrawal Committee.

Refund and Repayment Policy for Student Financial Assistance Programs

Students receiving financial aid who withdraw from all courses in a quarter are subject to the federal refund and repayment calculation requirement. Any tuition refund will go to reimburse financial aid returns first. The proportion of aid that a student is entitled to is based on the number of days the student was in attendance in the quarter. CityU is required to return to the financial aid programs the portion of your institutional costs that equal the portion of the quarter of nonattendance. If the student received a financial aid refund in excess of the amount of aid they were entitled to for the term, the student must return those funds to the university. Based on the federal calculation, there are times when a student’s tuition charges are left completely or partially unpaid for the term. The student is responsible for any unpaid tuition or fee charges after the federal calculation is completed. No aid funds must be repaid if the student attends more than 60% of the class(es) in a quarter before withdrawing. Only if funds remain available after payments to federal aid programs will refunds be issued to the student, if any.

Please review the Satisfactory Progress criteria when considering dropping courses or dropping from a term. Dropping courses and or from the quarter may effect a student’s eligibility to continue to receive financial aid funding. Reference the Satisfactory Academic Progress form and talk to Financial Aid.