Our Commitment to Service
For over four decades, CityU has been committed to serving those who serve in the military. Today, we support our active-duty and veteran students through military partnerships, special tuition, scholarships, and maintaining a highly competitive prior learning assessment policy that gives credit for prior learning experience.
CityU’s commitment doesn’t stop at the service member — it extends to spouses as well. As an institution that hires service members and has longstanding relationships with local bases, we understand that the families supporting the men and women in the military must also be supported alongside our servicemen and women.
If you are an active-duty, transitioning, or veteran member of the military, we are here to serve you and your spouse. It is our commitment and mission to offer you a high quality and relevant lifelong education. If you are thinking of advancing yourself through education, let us know how we can be of service.
Flexible Study Options
CityU has over 60 flexible degree programs offered online and/or on-site. We have campuses throughout Washington state and the world, and our online courses can be taken from anywhere — at home and abroad.
In addition to these learning paths, we offer performance-based programs, which allow students to progress at their own pace by demonstrating a predetermined set of learning outcomes. Learn more about course options at CityU.
CityU offers reduced military undergraduate and graduate tuition rates. This reduced rate does not apply to the doctoral program. Visit the tuition page to view a full list of rates.
The following groups may qualify for the military tuition rate:
- All U.S. military branches who are active-duty military, guard, and active reserve members
- Current spouse or dependent of anyone listed above
Veteran Benefits and Resources
As a military-affiliated student, you may qualify to apply for veteran’s benefits under existing veteran’s programs. After you have been approved for benefits, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility. You can connect with the CityU Veteran’s Affairs Officer by calling 206.239.4539 to ease the transition with using your VA benefits.
The Department of Defense’s standardized Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance up to 100 percent for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of service members’ professional and personal self-development goals. The TA policy for the current fiscal year allows active-duty service members to receive tuition assistance of up to $4,500 per year.
Note that each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions that may not mirror the standard policy. Please check with your Education Services Officer to determine the benefits available to you. For more information on Tuition Assistance, visit the DANTES website.
CityU also participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. These funds are an extension of the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® to help cover any charges that exceed the maximum limits – the VA has in place for private and public educational institutions. We do not have a limit as to how much our school will cover or the number of students that can participate in this program at our school. To find out more information, click here.
Please email our Veterans Affairs Office with questions about Military Tuition and Benefits.
We are proud to support our military and look forward to working with you regarding your GI Bill®. If you have questions — even if they are not VA-related — we are happy to assist you in any way.
- City University of Seattle accepts the following benefits:
- Ch 30 Montgomery GI Bill®
- Ch 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
- Ch 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- Ch 35 Survivors and Dependents
- Ch 1606 Selected Services
- Ch 1607 REAP
- Tuition Assistance
Using Your GI Bill®
Should you have any difficulties during this process, CityU’s Financial Aid office is here to help see you. Here are the steps to take:
- Apply for admission.
- Apply for VA benefits.
- After you have been approved for benefits, the VA will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility.
- Financial Aid at CityU will work with you to complete a CityU VA Benefits Application, and they can certify you based on the information on the application.
- Processing of your certification takes about a week once all required documents are received and about 3 weeks with the VA depending on their workload at the time.
- Every academic quarter, Financial Aid at CityU will work with you to ensure your VA benefits remain active.
- Visit CityU’s student portal for more information about the GI Bill® and CityU.
- Certificate of Eligibility or VA Form 28-1905 (Vocational Rehabilitation students only)
- Military Status Form (If you qualify for the Military Tuition Rate)
- CityU VA Benefits Authorization Form
- VA Form 22-1995 or VA Form 22-5495 (If you are transferring from another school where you previously used VA Benefits)
- DD214 Member 4 Copy
Additional Funding Sources
Partnerships and Programs
CityU works hard to develop partnerships and programs that complement your needs and goals. Here are just a few of the programs we’ve developed with our military students in mind. If there is something you’re interested in that is not on this list, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are regularly working to establish more partnerships and programs for you!
Our military partnership programs include:
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)
- Yellow Ribbon Program
- Troops to Teachers
- DoD MOU
- Goodwill Veteran Services Operation: GoodJobs
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
JBLM Military Graduation Celebration 2019
Friday, May 10, 2019, 1-4 p.m.
McGavick Conference Center (directions to conference center)
RSVP Deadline: March 15, 2019
City University of Seattle
521 Wall St., Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98121
Veterans Affairs Officer and Certifying Official
Financial Aid Office
Phone: 1.800.426.5596 x4540
VA Education Office
PO Box 888
Muskogee, OK 74402-888