Bachelor of Science in Business and Data Analytics
The CityU BS BDA Advantage
Are you interested in a career that combines business knowledge with cutting-edge data analysis skills? Look no further than the Bachelor of Science in Business and Data Analytics (BS BDA) degree! This program is carefully designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the data-driven world of business. With a strong focus on data analysis techniques, programming languages, and business concepts, graduates of this program are well-prepared to pursue careers in a variety of fields, including retail, marketing, manufacturing, operations, and more. In addition to rigorous coursework, students have access to hands-on learning experiences including live company projects. As data continues to play a critical role in decision-making across industries, the demand for skilled professionals in this field is on the rise. Join the ranks of successful BS BDA graduates and pave the way for a rewarding and dynamic career!
- Practical, Hands-on Approach: Our program offers a practical approach to business and data analytics education. Hands-on learning experiences, such as real-world projects, case studies, and simulations, help students develop practical skills that are highly valued by employers.
- Experienced Faculty: Our expert faculty brings a wealth of industry experience and knowledge to the classroom, providing students with practical insights and mentorship to guide them on their academic journey and transition into the world of practice.
- An Innovative Interdisciplinary Curriculum: Our program integrates business, data analysis, and technology concepts that can collectively prepare students to address complex business challenges from multiple angles within the modern era.
- Flexible: Complete the program 100% online or in a mixed mode format where a portion of coursework will be in-person.
- Highly Attractive and Practical Specializations: Our program offers specializations within the field of business and data analytics including Business Intelligence and Analytics, and Data Technology Management, which allow students to develop expertise in specific areas and stand out to potential employers.
The Bachelor of Science in Business and Data Analytics (BS BDA) represents an interdisciplinary program that integrates expertise from key domains including data science, business decision-making, statistics, and computing. The data analytics market is growing rapidly as a result of the increasing quantity of data and firms’ reliance on business intelligence for efficiency, growth, and development. This powerful trend indicates that investing in business and data analytics could be the differentiating factor between successful and failing companies in the present and upcoming years.
The BS BDA’s curriculum is carefully designed to contribute to the increasing demand for analytics capabilities by cultivating data-driven professionals who can take vast volumes of data and uncover patterns to extract actionable insights that improve organizational performance. The offerings of this program will help students acquire a holistic understanding of business and organizational systems and master the technical aspects and applications of business and data analytics within an enterprise context.
The project-based classes will enable students to gain insight into practical dimensions of descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, and prescriptive analytics as well as the primary steps in the data analytics process (e.g., data mining, data management, statistical analysis, and data presentation/visualization). The practical training provided by highly experienced professionals will familiarize students with trending data analytics tools and technologies and how they can contribute to successful business decision-making and planning.
Equipped with knowledge and expertise for developing cost-effective solutions and improving decision-making and competitive power, BS BDA’s graduates will be prepared for a myriad of career opportunities in a variety of fields, such as retail, marketing, finance, manufacturing, healthcare, research and development, and education. Professional titles that require a knowledge of data analytics include business intelligence analyst, data analyst, data engineer, quantitative analyst, data analytics consultant, operations analyst, marketing analyst, and project manager.
- Data Acquisition: Identify, acquire, cleanse, and effectively organize data for analysis.
- Data Analysis and Modeling: Analyze data and construct a model of the business need and potential data-driven solutions.
- Business Solution Optimization and Decision Making: Utilize an analytics model to find the most optimal business solution and to propose an effective organizational decision.
- Visualization and Monitoring: Use visualization tools to evaluate the effectiveness of proposed data-driven solutions.
- Strategy Generation and Organizational Fitness: Conduct internal and external audits to generate useful data to formulate effective strategies, develop project plans to implement strategies, and ensure organizational fitness.
Required Credits (180 Credits)
For full course descriptions please refer to the current catalog.
Lower-Division Requirements (90 Credits)
Students must meet General Education requirements listed below. This is typically completed within the 90 required lower-division credits. For this program, Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning is met through the course Math 138 College Algebra or equivalent.
General Education Requirements
- College Composition (CC) I** and II (10 Credits)
- Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (QSR) (5 Credits)
- Humanities (HU) (10 Credits)
- Social Sciences (SS) (15 Credits)
- Natural Sciences (NS) (15 Credits)
**If College Composition I is waived through transfer or articulation, students must take an additional 5 quarter credits from a humanities discipline.
Data Analytics Major (55 Credits)
- BUS 300 Business Dynamics (5)
- BUS 320 Technology and Operations Management (5)
- BUS 402 Managing Organizational Systems and Complexity (5)
- BUS 426 Business Analytics for Decision Making (NS) (5)
- BUS 440 Introduction to Data Science (5)
- BUS 442 Advanced Tools in Business Analytics (5)
- BUS 444 Predictive and Prescriptive Analytics (5)
- BUS 446 Data Visualization and Dashboards (5)
- BUS 448 Strategic Decision Making Under Uncertainty (5)
- PM 401 Introduction to Project Management (5)
- DA 495 Data Analytics Capstone (5)
Business Intelligence & Analytics Emphasis (35 credits)
For the Business Intelligence & Analytics Emphasis, students complete the courses below including 10 credits of upper division electives.
- BUS 455 Marketing Analytics (5)
- BUS 456 People Analytics (5)
- BUS 457 Enterprise Analytics (5)
- BIS 462 Strategic Consulting (5)
- GSCM 410 Data Analytics for Supply Chain Excellence (5)
- Upper Division Electives (10 Credits)
Data Technology Management Emphasis (35 credits)
Students entering the Data Technology Management Emphasis are required to complete these preparatory courses. These preparatory courses may be applied towards CityU's General Education and Lower Division credit requirements.
- CS 251 Statistical Computing (NS) (5)
- IS 201 Fundamentals of Computing (5)
For the Data Technology Management Emphasis, students complete the following courses.
- IS 302 Human Computer Interaction (5)
- IS 360 Database Technologies (5)
- DS 410 Programming in Data Analytics (5)
- IS 456 Database Systems Management (5)
- CS 475 Artificial Intelligence (5)
- DS 476 Data Analysis and Presentation (5)
- DS 479 Data Mining and Machine Learning (5)
Potential Career Titles
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Data Engineer
- Quantitative Analyst
- Data Analytics Consultant
- Operations Analyst
- Marketing Analyst
- Project Manager
- Strong Job Growth: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of management analysts, which includes business analysts and data analysts, is projected to grow 11% from 2021 to 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the increasing use of data-driven decision making across industries, which creates a strong demand for professionals with skills in data analysis and business concepts.
- Higher Earnings Potential: Graduates of a Bachelor of Science in Business and Data Analytics can expect to earn higher salaries than the average for all occupations. As of April 2023, the average yearly pay for the Business Analytics jobs category in the United States is $98,947 a year (ZipRecruiter, 2023).
- Domestic Opportunities: Tacoma, WA has ranked 10th with an average salary of $110K on the list of top 10 Highest Paying Cities for Business Analytics Jobs
At CityU, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your professional network by connecting with faculty working in your field, students from around the globe, and alumni employed at Seattle’s top companies. Plus, you’ll be part of a supportive community that’s dedicated to helping you reach your career goals.
Learn more about tuition and fees for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs.
2023-24 Cost of Attendance (per quarter)
|Living with Parent||Not Living with Parent||High-Cost Regions|
|Tuition & Fees||See Tuition Chart||See Tuition Chart||See Tuition Chart|
|Books & Supplies||$254||$254||$254|
|Housing & Food||$2,864||$5,956||$6,552|
Financial Aid Opportunities
At CityU, we are committed to helping students achieve their academic goals no matter their economic situations. Our financial aid counselors are here to find the resources you need to pay for your education, including grants, loans, work study, and scholarships. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at CityU, or contact our Financial Aid Team at 800.426.5596, 206.239.4540, or email@example.com.
Military Tuition Benefits
As a Yellow Ribbon school, CityU is proud to serve those who have served in the military. We offer military tuition discounts for active-duty servicemembers and their spouses and accept military benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Tuition Assistance. Learn more about military tuition benefits, VA benefits, and military partnership programs designed to help you reach your military and career goals.