Graduating from CityU
Our commencement ceremonies are held every June and allow us to commemorate the accomplishments of our students and congratulate them on completing their degrees. Several City University of Seattle sites worldwide hold Commencement ceremonies and CityU students studying outside the U.S. may choose to attend the U.S. ceremony, held in Seattle. Our 2023 commencement event will take place on June 24th at T-Mobile Park in Seattle at 1:00 pm PT.
47th Commencement Ceremony
It’s time to start getting ready for Commencement!
Click here to view a recording of our 2022 Commencement Ceremony from CityUofSeattle on Vimeo.
The ceremony includes remarks from the president, a guest speaker, and a student speaker. Following the remarks, the students will walk across the stage as their names and degrees are announced. On stage, the students will receive a diploma cover, have their pictures taken with the President, then leave the stage. Once all students have received on-stage recognition, some concluding remarks are given. The entire ceremony lasts a little more than two hours.
To participate in Commencement you must first apply to graduate. This can be done online via the Student Center located in the my.cityu.edu student portal. Once you have applied online or sent in the paper application to the Registrar, your academic record will be audited to determine eligibility to graduate and thus, eligibility to participate in Commencement. A fee will be charged for the audit.
- Deadline to apply:
Students should apply for graduation two quarters before their final term. It is highly recommended that you apply no later than February 24, 2023 to ensure your name is in the Commencement Program. Students who wait to apply until after May 1, 2023 will not have their name in the Commencement Program, but will still able to attend the ceremony if eligible.
- Results of degree audit:
As mentioned above, once you have applied to graduate, the Registrar’s Office audits your academic record. The results of the degree audit, along with an updated program plan, are then emailed to you. In addition to any impediments to program completion, the degree audit states clearly whether you are eligible to participate in Commencement.
2. When you receive your audit results and are notified that you are eligible, RSVP to the ceremony.
Please Note: If you do not contact us after receiving your degree audit, we will assume that you do not plan
to attend, and will not print a name card for you or include you in future updates about the ceremony.
If you have questions, contact the Registrar’s Office by email or by phone at 1-888-422-4898.
3. Once you confirm your attendance, place your cap and gown order at Jostens.
Eligible for Commencement
You may be eligible if you are a student…
Who will complete your degree during the current academic year (July 1 – June 30). Undergraduate students are eligible who have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, with graduate and doctoral students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Who has graduated earlier than July 1 and did not attend a previous CityU commencement.
Who has no more than two courses left, or plans to complete all remaining program requirements during the Summer 2023/24 term.
Who has completed the academic requirements for a degree but has outstanding financial obligations may participate in Commencement. However, no diploma or transcript will be issued until your financial account has been cleared.
Note: while you may be eligible, the Registrar must complete an audit and declare your eligibility. If you have questions, email the Registrar’s Office.
Not Eligible for Commencement
Students completing only a certificate program, and not a degree-granting program, are not eligible to participate in Commencement.
**Students in unusual circumstances who are not eligible to participate may explain their situation to the Registrar and request an exception.**
Definition and Awarding of Graduation Honors
Honors awards are given by merit and by degree level at City University of Seattle. There are two types of awards given, which are: President’s honors and Latin honors.
The President’s honors is only given to eligible master’s degree candidates, and the Latin honors is only given to eligible bachelor’s degree candidates. There are no honor awards given to students graduating at the doctoral, certificate, or associate degree level.
President’s honors are awarded if the student has graduated with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.90 or higher at the master’s level. This honors is noted on the student’s final transcript under the graduation date and is noted on their diploma, with an “honors” label.
Latin honors are awarded to students graduating with a cumulative GPA in the top of the class in their school or division at the bachelor’s level. Latin honors are designated summa cum laude (with highest honor – top 3.900 or above), magna cum laude (with great honor – 3.800 or above) and cum laude (with honor – 3.700 or above). Latin honors are noted on the student’s final transcript under the graduation date and on the student’s diploma with a special label showing the specific honor.
Honors cords will be distributed to the students who have earned them during the check in at Commencement. If you are awarded either of these honors and choose to walk in CityU’s Commencement, you may elect to wear your honor cord to the ceremony where your specific honors award will be announced alongside your degree earned.
*Subject to change
School of Health and Human Services
- Associate of Science in General Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services
- Bachelor of Science in General Studies
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Master of Counselling
School of Education and Leadership
- Bachelor of Arts in Education
- Alternative Routes to Teaching
- Master of Education (all Canadian, Adult Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Special Education, Education Specialist)
- Master in Teaching
- Doctor of Education in Leadership
School of Business and Management
- Associate of Science in Business
- Bachelor of Arts in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Project Management
- Master of Arts in Leadership
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Management and Leadership
- Master of Science in Project Management
- Doctor of Business Administration
School of Technology and Computing
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Computing
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Doctor if Information Technology
Caps and Tassels
Caps are worn during the ceremony and can be ordered through Jostens. Tassels are worn on the right side of the cap until your degree is conferred then moved to the left side.
Order your cap and gown online at college.jostens.com or through the consumer call center at 1.800.854.7464 (starting mid January, 2023).
- The deadline for cap and gown orders is May 1, 2023. All orders placed after this date will incur an additional rush shipping charge.
- All cap and gown orders will ship directly to you, at the address that you provide, upon placing your order. Orders usually ship within four weeks.
- Any students ordering after the May 1, 2023 deadline may call the Customer Service number, 800-854-7464 from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Central Time. We cannot guarantee delivery after the deadline due to lead times.
- A limited number of items may be purchased on the day of the ceremony at the CityU Regalia Desk. However all items are first-come, first-served.
Please go to college.jostens.com for pricing for the following items:
- Associates cap, gown, tassel, and zipper pull
- Bachelors cap, gown, tassel, and zipper pull
- Masters cap, gown, tassel, zipper pull, and hood
- Doctorate tam, gown, tassel, zipper pull, and hood
Hood Degree Colors:
- MA in Counseling/Master of Counselling: White
- MA in Management: Drab
- MA in Leadership: Drab
- MBA: Drab
- M.Ed.: Light Blue
- M.Ed. (School Counselling): Light Blue
- MIT: Light Blue
- Master of Professional Accounting: Drab
- MS in Healthcare Administration: Peacock
- MS in Computer Systems: Gold
- MS in Management and Leadership: Drab
- MS in Project Management: Gold
- MS in Information Security: Gold
- MS in Technology Management: Gold
- Doctor of Education in Leadership: Light Blue
- Doctor of Business Administration: Drab
- Doctor of Information Technology: Gold
Students graduating with two degrees will need to purchase a second Master Hood.
Canadian students will be responsible for customs/duty fees. To avoid customs/duty fees you can have your cap and gown shipped to Seattle for pick-up at the Graduation Help Desk on the day of the ceremony. All orders of this nature must be made in the student’s name. Notify email@example.com that your cap and gown has been shipped for pick-up, and provide your name, contact number, and a copy of the shipping order
Use the following address for shipping:
521 Wall Street, Seattle, WA 98121
Attn: Cap and Hood
Diploma covers are presented to all graduates during Commencement. The diploma is ordered when the degree is posted and mailed during the term following the conferral date, after all financial accounts are clear.
Students who have completed the academic requirements for a degree but have outstanding financial obligations will not be prevented from participating in Commencement; however, no diploma or transcript will be issued to such students until their financial account has been cleared.
Students who do not wish to attend the ceremony should still submit their applications and the $100 fee two quarters prior to completion of their degree program. The degree and diploma fee is strictly an administrative fee and does not cover the cost of Commencement.
- Facebook: @cityuofseattle
- Twitter: @cityu
- Instagram: @cityuofseattle