Graduating from CityU
Our commencement ceremonies are held every June and allow us to commemorate the accomplishments of our students and
congratulate them on completing their degrees. Several City University of Seattle sites worldwide hold Commencement
ceremonies and CityU students studying outside the U.S. may choose to attend the U.S. ceremony, held in Seattle.
CityU Commencement 2020
(POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
45th Commencement Ceremony
The ceremony includes remarks from the president and a student speaker. Following the remarks, the students will walk
across the stage as their names and degrees are announced. On stage, the students will receive a diploma cover, have
their pictures taken with the President, then leave the stage to return to their original seats. Once all students have
received on-stage recognition, some concluding remarks are given. The entire ceremony lasts a little more than two
For students in Asia and Europe, please watch for additional information.
To participate in Commencement you must first apply to graduate. This can be done online. Once you have applied online or sent in the paper
application to the Registrar, your academic record will be audited to determine eligibility to graduate and
thus, eligibility to participate in Commencement. A fee will be charged for the audit.
- Deadline to apply:
The initial deadline to apply in time to ensure eligibility to attend Commencement is February 21, 2020. Students who
apply any time after April 17, 2020 will not have their names printed in the Commencement brochure
due to printing deadlines, unfortunately, but they may still participate in the ceremony if the
degree audit indicates that they are eligible.
- Results of degree audit:
As mentioned above, once you have applied to graduate, the Registrar’s Office audits your academic
record. The results of the degree audit, along with an updated program plan, are then emailed to
you. In addition to any impediments to program completion, the degree audit states clearly whether
you are eligible to participate in Commencement.
2. When you receive your audit results and are notified that you are eligible, contact the Registrar’s Office to let them know you plan to attend
Commencement. In your email include your full name and student ID.
Please Note: If you do not contact us after receiving your degree audit, we will assume that you do not plan
to attend, and will not print a name card for you or include you in future updates about the ceremony.
If you have questions, contact the Registrar’s Office by email or by phone at 1-888-422-4898.
3. Once you confirm your attendance, place your cap and gown order. Jostens typically opens for orders in
early January. Get information on how
to place your order.
Eligible for Commencement
You may be eligible if you are a student…
Completing your degree during the current academic year (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020) with a cumulative GPA
of 2.0 or higher for an undergraduate program, or 3.0 or higher for a graduate program.
Who has graduated earlier than July 1, 2019 and did not attend a previous CityU commencement.
Who will complete all but one or two courses of their degree program by June 2019.
Who has no more than two courses left, or plans to complete all remaining program requirements during the
Summer 2020 term.
Who has completed the academic requirements for a degree but has outstanding financial obligations may
participate in Commencement. However, no diploma or transcript will be issued until your financial account
has been cleared.
Note: while you may be eligible, the Registrar must complete an audit and declare your
eligibility. If you have questions, email the Registrar’s
Not Eligible for Commencement
Students completing only a certificate program, and not a degree-granting program,
are not eligible to participate in Commencement.
**Students in unusual circumstances who are not eligible to participate may explain their
situation to the Registrar and request an exception.**
Definition and Awarding of Graduation Honors
Honors awards are given by merit and by degree level at City University of Seattle. There are two types of
awards given, which are: President’s honors and Latin honors.
The President’s honors is only given to eligible master’s degree candidates, and the Latin honors is only
given to eligible bachelor’s degree candidates. There are no honor awards given to students graduating at
the doctoral, certificate, or associate degree level.
President’s honors are awarded if the student has graduated with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of
3.90 or higher at the master’s level. This honors is noted on the student’s final transcript under the
graduation date and is noted on their diploma, with an “honors” label.
Latin honors are awarded to students graduating with a cumulative GPA in the top of the class in their
school or division at the bachelor’s level. Latin honors are designated summa cum laude (with highest honor
– top 3.900 or above), magna cum laude (with great honor – 3.800 or above) and cum laude (with honor – 3.700
Latin honors are noted on the student’s final transcript under the graduation date and on the student’s
diploma with a special label showing the specific honor.
Honors cords will be distributed to the students who have earned them during the check in at Commencement.
If you are awarded either of these honors and choose to walk in CityU’s Commencement, you may elect to wear
your honor cord to the ceremony where your specific honors award will be announced alongside your degree
*Subject to change
School of Arts and Sciences
- Associate of Science in General Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services
- Bachelor of Science in General Studies
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Master of Counselling
Albright School of Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Education
- Master of Education (all Canadian, Curriculum and Instruction, Special Education, Reading and
- Master in Teaching
School of Applied Leadership
- Master of Arts in Leadership
- Master of Education (Adult Education, Educational Leadership – USA)
- Master of Science in Management and Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Leadership
School of Management
- Associate of Science in Business
- Bachelor of Arts in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Computing
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Project Management
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Computer Systems
- Master of Science in Information Security
- Master of Science in Project Management
- Master of Science in Technology Management
- Doctor of Business Administration
Caps and Tassels
Caps are worn during the ceremony and can be ordered through Jostens. Tassels are worn on the right side of the cap
until your degree is conferred then moved to the left side.
Order your cap and gown online at college.jostens.com or through the
consumer call center at 1.800.854.7464 (starting mid January, 2020).
- The deadline for cap and gown orders is TBA. All orders placed after this date will incur an
additional rush shipping charge.
- All cap and gown orders will ship directly to you, at the address that you provide, upon placing
your order. Orders usually ship within four weeks.
- The final day for express shipping orders is May 10, 2020. Students may order after this day, but
must make special arrangements with Jostens for delivery/pick-up.
- Any students ordering after TBA may call the Customer Service number, 800-854-7464 from 7 a.m. – 7
p.m. Central Time. We cannot guarantee delivery after the deadline due to lead times.
- A limited number of items may be purchased on the day of the ceremony at the CityU Regalia Desk.
However all items are first-come, first-served.
Please go to college.jostens.com for
pricing for the following items:
- Associates cap, gown, tassel, and zipper pull
- Bachelors cap, gown, tassel, and zipper pull
- Masters cap, gown, tassel, zipper pull, and hood
- Doctorate tam, gown, tassel, zipper pull, and hood
Hood Degree Colors:
- MA in Counseling/Master of Counselling: White
- MA in Management: Drab
- MA in Leadership: Drab
- MBA: Drab
- M.Ed.: Light Blue
- M.Ed. (School Counselling): Light Blue
- MIT: Light Blue
- Master of Professional Accounting: Drab
- MS in Healthcare Administration: Peacock
- MS in Computer Systems: Gold
- MS in Management and Leadership: Drab
- MS in Project Management: Gold
- MS in Information Security: Gold
- MS in Technology Management: Gold
- Doctor of Education in Leadership: Light Blue
- Doctor of Business Administration: Drab
Students graduating with two degrees will need to purchase a second Master Hood.
Canadian students will be responsible for customs/duty fees. To avoid customs/duty fees you can have your
cap and gown shipped to Seattle for pick-up at the Graduation Help Desk on the day of the ceremony. All
orders of this nature must be made in the student’s name. Notify email@example.com that your cap and gown has
been shipped for pick-up, and provide your name, contact number, and a copy of the shipping order
Use the following address for shipping:
521 Wall Street, Seattle, WA 98121
Attn: Cap and Hood
Diploma covers are presented to all graduates during Commencement.The diploma is ordered when the degree is
posted and mailed during the term following the conferral date, after all financial accounts are clear.
Students who have completed the academic requirements for a degree but have outstanding financial
obligations will not be prevented from participating in Commencement; however, no diploma or transcript will
be issued to such students until their financial account has been cleared.
Students who do not wish to attend the ceremony should still submit their applications and the $100 fee two
quarters prior to completion of their degree program. The degree and diploma fee is strictly an
administrative fee and does not cover the cost of Commencement.
GradImages can be found on their website or by calling