The Master of Education in Professional School Counseling program is undergoing changes to improve pathways for future students. For details and information on enrollment, please contact an advisor.
The Master of Education in Professional School Counseling at City University of Seattle prepares graduates to work as school counselors and can be taken in conjunction with a state residence certification. The program incorporates the American School Counselor Association model, which is the recognized framework for delivering student-centered, high quality, data-informed school counseling services to K-12 students in the United States.
- ESA Certification: You can take a 54-credit version of this degree that includes Washington State Educational Staff Associate (ESA) residency certification, which will qualify you to work as a counselor in any public K-12 school in Washington State.
- Mixed mode format: This cohort-based structure includes classes on weekends and online instruction throughout the week (80 percent in-class and 20 percent online learning), allowing you to fit your school work around your current work week.
- Time to completion: Full-time students typically complete their master’s in guidance and counseling in two years.
- Practitioner faculty: CityU’s master’s in school counseling is taught by experienced K-12 faculty and current practitioners who integrate educational theory with real-world application.
- Admissions requirements: Your bachelor’s degree from an accredited university documenting a 2.75 cumulative GPA and documentation of at least one year of volunteer or work experience with youth qualifies you to apply. If you already have a masters degree in counseling, an ESA-only program may be available to you.
Many graduates of this program go on to work at public schools throughout the state, however your professional school counseling education through CityU will transfer well to other human services organizations, such as private agencies, community colleges and independent schools. If you’re seeking further advancement, this master’s is a great stepping stone toward CityU’s Doctor of Education in Leadership.
If you want to impact lives and improve the futures of students in Washington State, you are one call away from beginning the journey. Contact an advisor today to learn more.