2018 Winter and Spring Course Locations
February 12 – May 6
City University of Seattle – Downtown
Saturdays, April 7 – June 23
9 a.m. – 12 noon
The HR Certification Institute (HRCI) nationally certifies human resource professionals through their Professional in Human Resources (PHR) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) credentials. The Professional and Senior Professional in Human Resources credentials are regarded as industry standard. The HRCI is known for its rigor in testing and its comprehensive re-certification process.
Where CityU Can Take You
CityU will help you show potential employers that you’re serious about your HR career by preparing you pass the exam portion of your credentialing process. Our 12-week professional development program includes six modules that cover the body of knowledge covered in the PHR and SPHR exams while providing a broad overview of the HR field.
Whether you elect to enroll in the in-class or the online format, you can benefit from an experienced instructor, interaction with peers, and a guided assignment schedule to keep you on track. Learn more about our Continuing Education PHR/SPHR exam prep course as well as our Professional Development Certificates in Human Resources by talking with a representative today.
What will you learn?
The key to the success of the PHR/SPHR certification is the relevance of the content to the needs of today’s HR professionals. The course will cover the six functional areas covering the HR Certification Institute body of knowledge tested in PHR/SPHR exams.
Functional Area 1: Business Management & Strategy
- Developing, contributing to, and supporting the organization’s mission, vision, values and strategic goals and objectives
- Formulating policies
- Guiding and leading the change process
- Evaluating organizational objectives as an organizational leaders
Functional Area 2: Workforce Planning and Employment
- Employee rights, privacy and consumer protection legislation
- Organizational staffing requirements
- Recruitment, selection and retention
Functional Area 3: Human Resource Development
- Organizational development
- Training and development
- Talent management
- Performance management
Functional Area 4: Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation structure and systems
- Benefit programs
- Compensation and benefits legislation
- Administering and evaluating compensation and benefits programs
Functional Area 5: Employee and Labor Relations
- Labor relations legislation
- Union organizing and collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practices
- Employee involvement and engagement
Functional Area 6: Risk Management
- Organizational risk
- Workplace safety, health, security and privacy
- Risk management legislation
Tuition: The course costs $1175 and includes all books and instructional materials.
Registration and payment deadline: All registrations and tuition is due 7 days prior to the course start date. Late registrations will be taken into consideration and handled on a space-available basis.
Program Requirements: There are no admission requirements to take this program, however certain criteria must be met for participants taking the PHR or SPHR exam. See the HRCI website for exam requirements.
PHR and SPHR Exam Requirements: To apply for either the Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or the Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), candidates must have a combination of education and professional HR experience. For more information, see the certification information handbook or visit www.HRCI.org.