City University of Seattle’s Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is a dynamic, hands-on learning experience designed to bridge theory and practice.
Our students gain valuable knowledge in language acquisition theories, course development and materials selection, practical classroom management and application skills.
Why should you study at CityU?
Students choose CityU’s TESOL program because it is:
- Flexible. Our courses are designed for the working professional.
- Accommodating to student needs. You choose your timeline: get your TESOL certificate in our five-week in-class summer intensive, or in three quarters online.
- Sensitive to your learning preferences. You complete the TESOL certificate your way. You have three modes to choose from online, hybrid mode or in-class.
- Practical in our teaching approach. We offer one of the only online-certified TESOL programs that include 10 hours of observing live English instruction.
- Professional and provides the perfect place for you to see and practice what you’ve learned. Our Intensive English Language Program serves as a live laboratory for teacher candidates.
Potential career pathways for TESOL graduates:
- You can apply this certificate towards the Master of Education in Adult Education with TESOL Emphasis, or directly enter the classroom working with English language learners.
- You could teach English to adult learners overseas.
- You could use your skills in administrative roles with English acquisition organizations in the U.S. or abroad.
Whether you’re entering the workforce or changing careers, the TESOL certificate will prepare you to face the unique rigors of classroom teaching.
At CityU, we have a whole team ready to answer your questions and get you on the road to success. If you are interested in learning more about our Graduate Certificate in TESOL, connect with our advisors to learn more, or visit the Washington Academy of Languages website.
|Credits||Domestic Students||International Students|
|3 credits (1 class)||$780||$935|
|15 credits (full program)||$3900||$4675|
The tuition rates listed above are effective for the 2016-2017 academic year.
These internship experiences can be used to fulfill the TESOL 590 requirement in the M.Ed. in Adult Education.
Intern in Mexico Experience
The Intern in Mexico Experience is an option for students who are planning to start an M.Ed in Adult Education with a TESOL emphasis after completion of their TESOL certificate, or who wish to experience teaching abroad.
In this program, students spend one quarter (11 weeks) at one of nine bilingual high schools in the beautiful city of Puebla, Mexico, where they assist English and content instructors in the classroom and act as cultural ambassadors of English.
The roles and responsibilities of the intern are determined by the host high school and vary based on each school’s immediate needs. These expectations are clearly outlined before students are placed in a given school. The program is offered in partnership with Universidad Popular Autónoma del Estado de Puebla (UPAEP).
Intern at City University of Seattle Experience
The Intern at City University of Seattle Experience is only an option for students enrolled in the M.Ed in Adult Education program.
Students who choose CityU as their internship site work with an experienced mentor as they assist in facilitating classroom activities.
City University of Seattle’s campus is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Seattle and in close proximity to our residence hall.
An undergraduate degree and proof of English proficiency qualify you to apply for this program. Admission to the graduate-level TESOL program requires students to hold a four-year baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited or otherwise recognized institution.
- Complete the CityU online application; or complete, sign and return a paper application form to Admissions at City University of Seattle, 521 Wall Street, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98121.
- Submit the non-refundable $50.00 application fee. If mailing a paper application form, please include the fee with your completed application.
- Request transcripts from all institutions you’ve attended. Have them sent directly to City University of Seattle Registrar’s Office, 521 Wall Street, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98121.
Note: Electronic transcripts are accepted at City University of Seattle if sent from another recognized institution using proper security measures. They may also be emailed to email@example.com. Electronic transcripts sent directly or forwarded from students or other individuals/ businesses not in a direct agreement with CityU will be considered unofficial.
- Submit proof of English proficiency, if applicable.
Deadline for international students is April 1st. We will provide an I-20 to accepted applicants, which will be used to apply for the F-1 visa. Please submit the following items to apply:
- Application: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application fee: $50
- Copy of your passport ID page
- Copy of your bank statement that shows the amount you have in the bank, the address of the bank, and a signature from someone at the bank. Bank statement should show at least $7,137.
- Official score reports of an English placement test (iTEP or TOEFL)
Do you not meet the English Language Proficiency requirements? We have an English Program that you may attend before you begin your TESOL studies. You must successfully complete level 8 of our program by June 2017 in order to start the TESOL program. Please email us for more information about this option.