Doctor of Business Administration
Drive Organizations to Success
City University of Seattle’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is designed for professionals to develop advanced skills in organization interventional thinking, agile business practices, leadership, and critical thinking, while developing specialized business knowledge in the area of their choice.
This program offers you the flexibility to choose between online and on-site formats. With online coursework, you’ll be supported through a highly interactive teaching model that includes one hour every other week of live interaction with the professor and classmates via Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. You can complete the program in three to four years.
- Focus on Practicality and Implementation: Gain consultative and educational skills that can be directly applied to business, education, or organizational situations.
- Quality of Instruction: Doctoral faculty are subject-matter experts who bring course content to life by providing relevant connections with difficult to grasp content.
- Relevant & Flexible: 100% online course delivery with options for in-person residences fit professionals’ schedules to provide a work/school balance.
- Fast-Track Options: Transfer up to 12 credits into your doctoral program to shorten your time of completion.
The Doctor of Business Administration will prepare you to:
- Integrate leadership theories, business models, and ethical principles for improved operational performance.
- Formulate business strategies that guide organizations to change and adapt to emerging global challenges.
- Improve cultural competency, equity, diversity, and inclusion through leadership, governance, and policy.
- Establish technology-oriented, project-based initiatives that transform organizations.
- Demonstrate thought leadership, founded in research, that contributes to organizational and societal solutions.
- Develop ethical leaders who incorporate social, economic, and environmental values into responsible business strategies.
In addition to the doctoral admission requirements, applicants to this program must complete and submit the following:
- Official transcript of your master's degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. A business degree is preferred but exceptions are considered.
- Your resume must demonstrate five or more years of business experience.
- A goal statement (200-400 words) related to business experience and how the DBA supports your professional development goals.
- At least three references. One professional, one academic, and the remaining may be associates or colleagues.
Total Required Credits (91 Credits)
Pre-Entry Requirement (1 Credit)
- DBA 600 Introduction to Doctoral Program (1)
Business Administration Core (42 Credits)
- DBA 605 Organizational Development Theories and Trends (6)
- DBA 610 Financial Decision Making (6)
- DBA 615 Organizational Identity and Culture (6)
- DBA 620 Technology Implementation and Change Management (6)
- DBA 625 Industry Analysis and Market Innovation (6)
- DBA 630 Business Process Analysis and Strategic Management (6)
- DBA 670 Organizational Development Capstone (6)
Research Core (15 Credits)
- RESR 617 Research Fundamentals (3)
- RESR 619 Quantitative Research Methods (3)
- RESR 621 Qualitative Research Methods (3)
- RESR 623 Research Design (3)
- RESR 625 Advanced Research Topics (3)
Specialized Study Concentration (12 Credits)
Four graduate courses (or 12 credits) taken in a specific content area. Coursework may be completed through independent study, current course offerings, transferred in from another accredited institution, or developed for a specific industry or organizational setting. The Specialized Study concentration is proposed by the student and approved by the Program Director prior to taking the Organizational Development Capstone.
Dissertation (18 Credits)
Under the supervision of a Doctoral Chair and committee, each student will complete and submit a concept paper, typically 15- 20 pages in length that presents his/her proposed research idea including the statement of the problem, its background and significance, a brief review of the literature and a proposed methodology or research design to address the problem. This stage of the dissertation is complete when the student's committee gives its approval.
During this phase of the dissertation process, the student builds on the concept paper and completes the first three chapters of the final dissertation report (Introduction, literature review, and methods). The literature review will be exhaustive containing sufficient references to allow the student to establish expertise relative to the research problem. The methods section, written in future tense, will provide sufficient detail to allow for replication of the proposed research. This stage of the dissertation is complete when the students committee, the CityU DBA Program Director, and the CityU Institutional Review Board have given their approval.
During this final stage, the student will build upon the completed and approved proposal and will gather research data, analyze these data, and begin to draw conclusions based on the findings. The student will also prepare the final sections of the dissertation (Results and Discussion) and make appropriate modifications to the proposal to complete the preparation of the full dissertation report. This stage is complete with the student receives final committee and DBA Program Director approval. Students who do not complete the dissertation at the end of the third dissertation course must enroll in Continuing Dissertation Services until work on the final dissertation report has been completed.
- RESR 694B Dissertation 2 (3)
- RESR 694C Dissertation 3 (3)
- RESR 694D Dissertation 4 (3)
- RESR 694E Dissertation 5 (3)
- RESR 694F Dissertation 6 (3)
- RESR 99 Continuing Dissertation Services (0)
- RESR 099: Continuing Dissertation Services - Optional course used for continuing enrollment and services as needed beyond provided Dissertation courses.
Residencies (3 Credits)
- RESR 601 Residency 1 (1)
- RESR 602 Residency 2 (1)
- RESR 603 Residency 3 (1)
A Doctor in Business Administration will give you the in-depth business education required to take your career to the top. Upon completion of this program, you will be well prepared to take on a management and leadership role, including:
- Company president
- Management analyst
- Executive director
At CityU, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your professional network by connecting with faculty working in your field, students from around the globe, and alumni employed at Seattle’s top companies. Plus, you’ll be part of a supportive community that’s dedicated to helping you reach your career goals.
Learn more about tuition and fees for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs.
Financial Aid Opportunities
At CityU, we’re committed to helping students achieve their academic goals no matter their economic situations. Our financial aid counselors are here to find the resources you need to pay for your education, including grants, loans, work study, and scholarships.
Military Tuition Benefits
As a Yellow Ribbon school, CityU is proud to serve those who have served in the military. We offer military tuition discounts for active-duty servicemembers and their spouses and accept military benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Tuition Assistance.
Learn more about military tuition benefits, VA benefits, and military partnership programs designed to help you reach your military and career goals.
WHY CHOOSE CITYU?
Founded in 1973, City University of Seattle offers over 60 on-site and online programs designed for busy working adults like you. When you enroll at CityU, you’ll have the support of a community of faculty, staff, students, and alumni who are dedicated to helping you finish your degree and reach your goals.
City University of Seattle is recognized as a Top 10 educator of adults nationwide.1
MADE FOR YOU
Degree programs that fit your busy lifestyle. Faculty and staff that want you to succeed.
Expand your global perspectives in online and on-campus courses with students from all around the world.
A LEGACY OF SUCCESS
Join the 50,000+ alumni who have graduated from City University of Seattle since 1973.