Doctor of Business Administration
City University of Seattle’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program is a terminal business degree designed for working business, non-business and STEM professionals seeking to advance their business knowledge and expertise; completing the program in as little as 3 years. Emphasis is placed on exploring multi-disciplinary topics in Leadership, Technology, Finance, Operations, Strategy, DEI, Marketing, Innovation, ESG, and Ethics. Throughout the program, you will be able to integrate your work experience by applying theory and research to define your specialization as a consultant, leader, or educator. Become an expert in a specialized area of business through our flexible and affordable program. Explore the possibilities. Inquire today!
The onramp to a DBA for business professionals is an easy pathway to accentuate advanced business skills. Collaborating with a diverse cohort of professionals from various industries and geographic locations develops advanced knowledge in agile processes, practical insights, and theoretical frameworks through research. Completing the program expands a business professional’s knowledge while honing skills in critical thinking, decision-making, and the ability to drive change.
Non-Business and STEM Professionals
Individuals with broad experience in roles outside of traditional business disciplines (scientists, healthcare workers, lawyers, IT workers, engineers, artists, educators, technicians, social workers, journalists, and more) who may be looking for a career change or a way to advance their business knowledge and influence can find success in the CityU DBA program. The curriculum advances a student’s knowledge and skills through an interdisciplinary perspective, enabling a career transition into entrepreneurship, management, or leadership roles. There is an increasing demand for professionals who can bridge the gap between their non-business or STEM expertise and business, creating unique career opportunities. Leverage your skills with applied business principles, leadership agility, and strategic thinking to navigate complex business challenges, drive innovation, and shape the future of business.
Drive Organizations to Success
City University of Seattle’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is designed for professionals to develop advanced skills in organization interventional thinking, agile business practices, leadership, and critical thinking while developing specialized business knowledge in the area of their choice.
Through coursework, you’ll be supported through a highly interactive teaching model that includes one hour every other week of live interaction with the professor and classmates. Complete the program in as little as three years!
- Practicality and Implementation: Gain consultative and educational skills that can be directly applied to business, education, or organizational situations.
- Quality of Instruction: Doctoral faculty are subject-matter experts who bring course content to life by providing relevant connections with difficult-to-grasp content.
- Relevant and Flexible: 100% online course delivery with options for in-person residences fit professionals’ schedules to provide a work/school balance.
- Fast-Track Options: Transfer up to 12 credits into your doctoral program to shorten your completion time.
The Doctor of Business Administration will prepare you to:
- Integrate leadership theories, business models, and ethical principles for improved operational performance.
- Formulate business strategies that guide organizations to change and adapt to emerging global challenges.
- Improve cultural competency, equity, diversity, and inclusion through leadership, governance, and policy.
- Establish technology-oriented, project-based initiatives that transform organizations.
- Demonstrate thought leadership, founded in research, that contributes to organizational and societal solutions.
- Develop ethical leaders who incorporate social, economic, and environmental values into responsible business strategies.
- Support: The CityU team supports you personally with small class sizes, and a dedicated Academic Advisor assigned to each student.
- 3-Year Program Plan: Designed for the most ambitious; Work with your advisor to plan your timeline.
- Transfer: Apply 12 graduate credits to your degree specialization, reducing time to completion.
- Online: Engage with your professor and classmates through virtual video discussions.
- In Person: Interactive sessions through Residency workshops develop rapport, engagement, and understanding.
- Students in the Program: 72 (FT = 6 credits per quarter).
- Student Retention (2023): 86.49%
Click here for DBA Student Fast Facts
In addition to the doctoral admission requirements, applicants to this program must complete and submit the following and official transcript of your master's degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. A business degree is preferred but exceptions are considered.
Total Required Credits (91 Credits)
Pre-Entry Requirement (1 Credit)
- DBA 600 Introduction to Doctoral Program (1)
Business Administration Core (42 Credits)
- DBA 605 Organizational Development Theories and Trends (6)
- DBA 610 Financial Decision Making (6)
- DBA 615 Organizational Identity and Culture (6)
- DBA 620 Technology Implementation and Change Management (6)
- DBA 625 Industry Analysis and Market Innovation (6)
- DBA 630 Business Process Analysis and Strategic Management (6)
- DBA 670 Organizational Development Capstone (6)
Research Core (15 Credits)
- RESR 617 Research Fundamentals (3)
- RESR 619 Quantitative Research Methods (3)
- RESR 621 Qualitative Research Methods (3)
- RESR 623 Research Design (3)
- RESR 625 Advanced Research Topics (3)
Specialized Study Concentration (12 Credits)
Four graduate courses (or 12 credits) taken in a specific content area. Coursework may be completed through independent study, current course offerings, transferred in from another accredited institution, or developed for a specific industry or organizational setting. The Specialized Study concentration is proposed by the student and approved by the Program Director prior to taking the Organizational Development Capstone.
Dissertation (18 Credits)
Under the supervision of a Doctoral Chair and committee, each student will complete and submit a concept paper, typically 15- 20 pages in length that presents his/her proposed research idea including the statement of the problem, its background and significance, a brief review of the literature and a proposed methodology or research design to address the problem. This stage of the dissertation is complete when the student's committee gives its approval.
During this phase of the dissertation process, the student builds on the concept paper and completes the first three chapters of the final dissertation report (Introduction, literature review, and methods). The literature review will be exhaustive containing sufficient references to allow the student to establish expertise relative to the research problem. The methods section, written in future tense, will provide sufficient detail to allow for replication of the proposed research. This stage of the dissertation is complete when the students committee, the CityU DBA Program Director, and the CityU Institutional Review Board have given their approval.
During this final stage, the student will build upon the completed and approved proposal and will gather research data, analyze these data, and begin to draw conclusions based on the findings. The student will also prepare the final sections of the dissertation (Results and Discussion) and make appropriate modifications to the proposal to complete the preparation of the full dissertation report. This stage is complete with the student receives final committee and DBA Program Director approval. Students who do not complete the dissertation at the end of the third dissertation course must enroll in Continuing Dissertation Services until work on the final dissertation report has been completed.
- RESR 694A Dissertation 1 (3)
- RESR 694B Dissertation 2 (3)
- RESR 694C Dissertation 3 (3)
- RESR 694D Dissertation 4 (3)
- RESR 694E Dissertation 5 (3)
- RESR 694F Dissertation 6 (3)
- RESR 99: Continuing Dissertation Services (0) - Optional course used for continuing enrollment and services as needed beyond provided Dissertation courses.
Residencies (3 Credits)
- RESR 601 Residency 1 (1)
- RESR 602 Residency 2 (1)
- RESR 603 Residency 3 (1)
A Doctor in Business Administration will give you the in-depth business education required to take your career to the top. Upon completion of this program, you will be well prepared to take on a management and leadership role, including:
- Company president
- Management analyst
- Executive director
At CityU, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your professional network by connecting with faculty working in your field, students from around the globe, and alumni employed at Seattle’s top companies. Plus, you’ll be part of a supportive community that’s dedicated to helping you reach your career goals.
Learn more about tuition and fees for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs.
2023-24 Cost of Attendance (per quarter)
|Living with Parent||Not Living with Parent||High-Cost Regions|
|Tuition & Fees||See Tuition Chart||See Tuition Chart||See Tuition Chart|
|Books & Supplies||$254||$254||$254|
|Housing & Food||$2,864||$5,956||$6,552|
Student budget values are established using student surveys, CPI index, and actual institutional expenses.
Financial Aid Opportunities
At CityU, we are committed to helping students achieve their academic goals no matter their economic situations. Our financial aid counselors are here to find the resources you need to pay for your education, including grants, loans, work study, and scholarships. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at CityU, or contact our Financial Aid Team at 800.426.5596, 206.239.4540, or email@example.com.
Military Tuition Benefits
As a Yellow Ribbon school, CityU is proud to serve those who have served in the military. We offer military tuition discounts for active-duty servicemembers and their spouses and accept military benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Tuition Assistance. Learn more about military tuition benefits, VA benefits, and military partnership programs designed to help you reach your military and career goals.
WHY CHOOSE CITYU?
Founded in 1973, City University of Seattle offers over 60 on-site and online programs designed for busy working adults like you. When you enroll at CityU, you will have the support of a community of faculty, staff, students, and alumni who are dedicated to helping you finish your degree and reach your goals.
City University of Seattle is recognized as a Top 10 educator of adults nationwide1 and ranked by US News & World Report as a best Online Bachelors program.
MADE FOR YOU
You will learn practical real-world knowledge from our passionate faculty. Plus our 6:1 student to faculty ratio is smaller than Seattle University, Seattle Pacific University, and Western Governors University.
Expand your global perspectives in online and on-campus courses with students from all around the world.