State Authorization Reciprocal Agreement

City University of Seattle has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA). A full list of SARA states and additional information about the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements can be found on the NC-SARA website.

Out-of-State Distance Learning

City University of Seattle can only deliver distance education outside the State of Washington if authorized to do so by the state in which the student is located. Students who begin a program and then change their state of residence to a state where the institution is not authorized to deliver the degree program may experience educational delays, loss of financial aid, and/or may be unenrolled from the program.

California is the only non-SARA state but does not prohibit CityU from delivering distance education courses to California residents.


Internships and other Supervised Field Experiences undertaken by out-of-state students in all U.S. States are authorized under the terms and provisions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) and individual state authorizations, whether the internship is required for an online or campus-based program.

  • Louisiana is a SARA state, but restricts programs/courses which place 10 or more students in clinical experiences, involve multi-year contracts between CityU and a LA field site, or provide Teacher Education and/or Educational Leader components.
  • Maryland is a SARA state, but restricts programs/courses which place more than 10 students simultaneously in the field (i.e., internships, clinical experiences, practicum, etc.).

CityU Programs Leading to State Certification or Licensure

City University of Seattle programs are intended to meet criteria for certification or a professional license in the state of Washington and may not transfer to another state.   The following programs at City University of Seattle are intended to prepare students for careers that may require certification/licensure in the state of Washington.

  • Addiction Counseling (MAC)
  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MAC)
  • Educational Administration (M.Ed., Graduate Certificate)
  • Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling (MAC)
  • School Counseling (MAC)
  • Teacher Preparation Programs (B.A. In Education, Master in Teaching, Alternative Routes to Teaching Undergraduate/Graduate, Endorsement)

Licensing and certification requirements vary by state. City University of Seattle has not made a determination that above listed programs meet the educational requirements for certification/licensure outside of Washington State.  Students who relocate to another state during their enrollment may may not satisfy the eligibility criteria to obtain a professional license or certification in that state.  If a student plans to relocate outside of the state of Washington, it is highly recommended to first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in that state. CityU has provided a document regarding information about requirements for certification or licensure in other select states (Counseling, School CounselorTeacher/Educational Administrator).

The following programs at City university are intended to prepare students educationally for careers that have optional and/or required professional certification. Professional certification typically requires additional requirements such as examinations and/or work experience. Contact information for professional, national and/or state licensing and/or certification boards is provided for your convenience. Although we try to update this information regularly, requirements often change, thus it is strongly encouraged that prospective students contact the appropriate professional and/or state licensing agency to find out whether CityU’s programs currently meet the educational requirements of the organization.

  • Data Analytics (MBA, Graduate Certificate)
  • Finance (MBA, Graduate Certificate)
  • Human Resources (MBA, Graduate Certificate)
  • Management Accounting (MBA, Graduate Certificate)
  • Project Management, (BS, MS, Undergraduate Certificate, Graduate Certificate)
  • Public Accounting (MBA, Graduate Certificate)

If you have questions regarding the status of any program above, please contact the VP of Student Administration/Registrar.

Student Consumer Complaint Process

Out-of-State students who wish to file a complaint related to online courses or programs offered by City University of Seattle must first seek resolution through the institution’s Student Complaint Process.

If the student has fully utilized all internal procedures to address their complaint, and believes that the process has not adequately resolved the complaint the student may contact the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) who has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit WSAC’s site for information regarding the WSAC complaint process.

Important Information for Students in California

Because California is not a member of SARA, a different complaint process exists through the Department of Consumer Affairs.


* Indicates a required field.

By clicking SUBMIT, I understand and agree to CityU's privacy policy.