Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics
The CityU BSDA Advantage
- Flexible: In addition to our online program, CityU offers weekday in-class, weekend intensive, and mixed mode program options so students can fit their studies around their schedules.
- Prepare For the Future: Equipped with knowledge and expertise for developing cost-effective solutions and improving decision-making and competitive power, BSDA’s graduates will be prepared for a myriad of career opportunities in a variety of fields, such as retail, marketing, finance, manufacturing, healthcare, research and development, and education.
- Personalized Attention: The practical training provided by highly experienced professionals will familiarize students with trending data analytics tools and technologies and how they can contribute to successful business decision-making and planning.
- Project-based Classes: These classes will enable students to gain insight into practical dimensions of descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, and prescriptive analytics as well as the primary steps in the data analytics process (e.g., data mining, data management, statistical analysis, and data presentation/visualization).
- Specialized Learning: The offerings of this program will help students acquire a holistic understanding of business and organizational systems and master the technical aspects and applications of data analytics within a business and enterprise context.
City University of Seattle’s Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics program (BSDA) represents an interdisciplinary program between School of Business & Management (SBM) and School of Technology & Computing (STC) that integrates expertise from key domains including data science, business decision-making, statistics, and computing. The BSDA’s curriculum is carefully designed to contribute to the increasing demand for analytics capabilities by cultivating data-driven professionals who can take vast volumes of data and uncover patterns to extract actionable insights that improve organizational performance. This powerful trend indicates that investing in data analytics could be the differentiating factor between successful and failing companies in the present and upcoming years.
Required Credits (180 Credits)
Lower-Division Requirements (90 Credits)
Students must meet General Education requirements listed below. This is typically completed within the 90 required lower-division credits. For this program, Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning is met through the course Math 138 College Algebra or equivalent.
- College Composition (CC) I** and II (10 Credits)
- Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (QSR) (5 Credits)
- Humanities (HU) (10 Credits)
- Social Sciences (SS) (15 Credits)
- Natural Sciences (NS) (15 Credits)
**If College Composition I is waived through transfer or articulation, students must take an additional 5 quarter credits from a humanities discipline.
Preparatory Courses (15 credits)
- Math 138 College Algebra (QSR or NS) (5)
- CS 251 Statistical Computing (NS) (5)
- IS 201 Fundamentals of Computing (5)
Core Requirements (30 credits)
- BUS 300 Business Dynamics (5)
- BUS 320 Technology and Operations Management (5)
- BUS 402 Managing Organizational Systems and Complexity (5)
- IS 302 Human Computer Interaction (5)
- IS 360 Database Technologies (5)
- PM 401 Introduction to Project Management (5)
Data Analytics Major (60 credits)
- BUS 440 Introduction to Data Science (5)
- BUS 426 Business Analytics for Decision Making (NS) (5)
- BUS 442 Advanced Tools in Business Analytics (5)
- BUS 444 Predictive and Prescriptive Analytics (5)
- BUS 446 Data Visualization and Dashboards (5)
- BUS 448 Strategic Decision Making Under Uncertainty (5)
- DS 410 Programming in Data Analytics (5)
- IS 456 Database Systems Management (5)
- CS 475 Artificial Intelligence (5)
- CS 476 Data Analysis and Presentation (5)
- CS 479 Data Mining and Machine Learning (5)
- DA 495 Data Analytics Capstone (5)
CityU’s BSDA program will prepare students to:
- Integrate foundational knowledge of all areas of data analytics.
- Apply fundamental principles and practices of data analytics.
- Apply critical and ethical thinking to solve problems in data analytics.
- Evaluate data to inform decisions and solve problems in data analytics.
- Create the ability to develop and express ideas while applying a variety of delivery models, genres, and styles.
- Collaborate effectively on diverse teams to accomplish a common goal.
Potential Career Titles
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Data Engineer
- Quantitative Analyst
- Data Analytics Consultant
- Operations Analyst
- Marketing Analyst
- Project Manager
Learn more about tuition and fees for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs.
Financial Aid Opportunities
At CityU, we are committed to helping students achieve their academic goals no matter their economic situations. Our financial aid counselors are here to find the resources you need to pay for your education, including grants, loans, work study, and scholarships. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at CityU, or contact our Financial Aid Team at 800.426.5596, 206.239.4540, or email@example.com.
Military Tuition Benefits
As a Yellow Ribbon school, CityU is proud to serve those who have served in the military. We offer military tuition discounts for active-duty servicemembers and their spouses and accept military benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Tuition Assistance. Learn more about military tuition benefits, VA benefits, and military partnership programs designed to help you reach your military and career goals.