Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship
Number of Awards
Fall Quarter – September 1
Winter Quarter – December 1
School of Education and Leadership
Promoting Diversification of the Educator Workforce
At City University of Seattle, we’re proud to support inclusion of diverse teachers and the students working to become teachers and administrators with the Diversity Scholarship. This $2,000 award opportunity is designed for students pursuing a teaching or administrator credential.
Access to a racially and culturally diverse teacher workforce is beneficial for all P-12 students, particularly for students of color, who often thrive in classrooms led by teachers who share their racial and cultural background (see Hiring and Educator Workforce Issues in Washington’s Comprehensive Support Schools, OSPI, 2019; and Addressing Washington’s Educator Shortage, PESB, 2021, pp. 3, 8).
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must be a candidate admitted to a teacher, administrator, or superintendent certification program in the School of Education and Leadership:
Teacher Preparation Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Education: Teaching Certification
- Master in Teaching: Teacher Certification
- Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification (BAED, MED)
Educational Leadership Programs
- Graduate Certificate in Executive Leadership: Superintendent Certification
- Graduate Certificate in Educatoinal Leadership: Administrator Certification
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership: Career and Technical Education (CTE) Administrator Certification
- Master of Education in Educational Leadership: Administrator Certificate
- Master of Education in Educational Leadership: Career and Technical Education (CTE) Administrator Certification
How to Apply
- Complete the Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship Application.
- Self-identify race/ethnicity.
- Have a valid 2022-2023 Free Aplication for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with an official EFC.
- Submit a personal statement (minimum 500 words) addressing the topics from the application.
- Letters of Recommendation (optional).
- Scholarship must be used for tuition only and may not be paid out as a cash refund if the award is more than the tuition cost
- Remaining award funds may rollover to another quarter for up to two additional quarters before it is rescinded
- Must be enrolled at least half time as defined by CityU
- Must be enrolled in an eligible program
CityU offers a variety of scholarships. To see all of the scholarships we offer, check out our Scholarship Page.
For general scholarship questions:
Financial Aid Office
Other Scholarship Resources
We have compiled a list of external scholarship and grant resources which we offer as an additional reference for students. These resources are not affiliated with the university.