Our Commitment to Service
For four decades CityU has been committed to serving those who have served in the military. It has served those in the military through military partnerships, offering special tuition, awarding scholarships, and maintaining a highly competitive prior learning assessment policy that gives credit for prior learning experience.
CityU’s commitment doesn’t stop at the service member, it extends to the spouse. As an institution that hires service members and has longstanding relationships with local bases, we understand that the families supporting the men and women in the military must also be served alongside our servicemen and women.
If you are an active, transitioning or a veteran member of the military we are here to serve you and your spouse. It is our commitment and mission to offer you and yours a high quality and relevant lifelong education. If you are thinking of advancing yourself through education, let us know how we can be of service.
CityU has over 60 flexible degree programs offered online and/or onsite. We have campuses throughout Washington State and the world, and our online courses can be taken from anywhere.
In addition to these learning paths, we offer performance-based programs, which allow students to progress at their own pace by demonstrating a predetermined set of learning outcomes. To learn more about this option and other options available to you, please visit this page.
CityU’s reduced tuition rate is as follows:
- Undergraduate: $166/per credit
- Graduate: $306/per credit
*This reduced rate does not apply to the doctoral program. To see this tuition please look at the tuition page.
The following groups may qualify for the military tuition rate:
- All U.S. Military branches who are Active Duty Military, Guard and Active Reserve members, Retired military,
- Current spouse or dependent of anyone listed above
- Department of Defense employees
- Canada military members who are Active Duty
The Department of Defense’s standardized Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance up to 100% for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of service members’ professional and personal self-development goals. The TA policy for the current fiscal year allows active duty service members to receive tuition assistance of up to $4,500 per year.
Note that each Service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions that may not mirror the standard policy. Please check with your Education Services Officer to determine the benefits available to you. For more information on Tuition Assistance, visit the DANTES website.
In addition to military tuition assistance, you may qualify to apply for veteran’s benefits under existing veteran’s programs. After you have been approved for benefits, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility. You can connect with the CityU Veteran’s Affairs Officer by calling 206.239.4539 to ease the transition with using your VA benefits.
CityU also participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. These funds are an extension of the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® to help cover any charges that exceed the maximum limits – the VA has in place for private and public educational institutions. We do not have a limit as to how much our school will cover or the number of students that can participate in this program at our school. To find out more information, click here.
Please email our Veterans Affairs Office with questions about Military Tuition and Benefits.
Ask your advisor about the Transitioning Veterans Scholarship.
We are proud to support our military and look forward to working with you in regards to your GI Bill®. If you have questions — even if they are not VA-related — we are happy to assist you in any way.
City University of Seattle accepts the following benefits:
- Ch 30 Montgomery GI Bill®
- Ch 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
- Ch 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- Ch 35 Survivors and Dependents
- Ch 1606 Selected Services
- Ch 1607 REAP
- Tuition Assistance
Should you have any difficulties during this process, CityU’s Financial Aid office is here to help see you. Here are the steps to take:
- After you have been approved for benefits, the VA will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility
- Financial Aid at CityU will work with you to complete a CityU VA Benefits Application, and they can certify you based on the information on the application.
- Every academic quarter, Financial Aid at CityU will work with you to ensure your VA benefits remain active.
- Visit CityU’s student portal for more information about the GI Bill® and CityU.
- A copy of your Certification (when it’s available to you)
- Military Status Form (if you qualify for the Military Tuition Rate)
Partnership & Programs
We work hard to develop partnerships and programs that complement your needs and goals. Here are just a few of the programs we’ve developed with our military students in mind.
If there is something you are interested that is not on this list, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are regularly working to establish more partnerships and programs for you!
Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership (NCPDLP)
- B.A. Applied Psychology- This program works well with the RP and NC rates.
- B.A. Applied Psychology – Criminal Behavior Emphasis
This program works well with the MA rate.
- B.S. Business Administration – Project Management Emphasis
This program works well with the AZ, LS, PS, SH, and YN rates.
- B.S. Information Systems – Networking Emphasis
This program works well with the IT rate.
- Additionally, the university offers a variety of other programs ranging from business and computer systems to education and counseling.
“Even while I was overseas in Iraq, I was still taking online classes. And my professors were really flexible.”
-Patrick Pettyjohn, Alumnus
Tue21Apr20151:00 amCareer Center
City University of Seattle
521 Wall Street Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98121
Veterans Affairs Officer and Certifying Official
WDVA Vet Corps program
Regional Director of Campus Operations
Financial Aid Office
Phone: 1.800.426.5596 x4540
VA Education Office
PO Box 888
Muskogee, OK 74402-888